Sunday, December 6, 2009

Swimmin!! But not today....

Last night I told myself that no matter how cold it was I was going riding tomorrow.
Tomorrow is here and I am wondering why I ever said that....lol.

We recently moved into a new house. The Army has decided it was time for us to move, even though we just did...I don't try to figure it out anymore I just try to make the best of the situation. On the other hand, we found a house that is WAY better than the one we were living in before. Three stall barn and almost 9 acres. I couldn't beat that with a stick! Bad news...we moved the day before Thanksgiving and I was sick as a DOG!!! No riding for me. It has been TWO weeks since Olly and I have ridden. I chose today to go riding because here in Va they have a law that there is no hunting on Sundays. I could ride where ever, within reason, and not get shot by doe eyed hunters.

So, this morning I get up and look outside, it doesn't look cold...that was my mind trying to reason with itself. My ass! It was like 34* this morning. Layers, that is what everyone is saying. Well, just to let you know, once you have spent 3 1/2 years in Hawaii, there aren't enough layers to keep me warm! After two shirts, a hoodie, socks that went up to my knees, jeans and a beanie I set foot out into a warm, yet cold, looking day. Olly was so happy to go he walked right into his stall and let me saddle him with out a halter or even tying him. I can't bvelieve how much he has grown in the few months that I have had him. I waved to my hubby and we were down the road.

I should have known that he would't be walking today. No riding in two weeks, that is like my kids on Christmas cookies! He was ready to go. I am not familiar with the area too much so we just followed the road. 198 to Harcum and just keep on keepin' on! It is so pretty out here. The corn and beans are down and that means cantering sets are a must. I don't normally do much cantering once he has been off for a few weeks, just because he ends up getting winded faster, but today he just wanted to stretch out so we did a few. As we are trotting, almost a piaffe now, I see a sign that say Public Boat Launch. Well, no time is better than the present...we make a left turn and follow the sign. Tons of open land. I wish I had just a bit of it. I would have the best xc course!
We continue to move along and up comes a field with three horses in it. GREAT! he is gonna have a blast making new friends! The sorrel was the first to the fence line. As soon as Olly saw him he stopped dead in his tracks did a roll back and took off! WTF??!! I totally did not see that coming. And not only did he do it again he made a run for it three times until I got him to face their paddock. Confused, I let him stand and just take in all he was seeing. I could feel his heartbeat and almost smell the adrenaline. A short minute passed and we were down the road like nothing happened. Typical.

So by now I was wondering where the Public Boat Launch was. I mean it had to be a pretty small lake to be around here. Bam! Out of no where this HUGE river, that looked like a lake.

I snapped a few pics with my phone and thought, "Man , this would be perfect for swimming in the summer." Mental note made.

We turn around after checking out the river and head home. It was a short ride only about 4-5 miles, but it was just enough to get the energy out. If I can invest in a carhart or something a bit warmer than a few hoodies piled together we will be in business. Tomorrow the boys are in school and we are going to be checking out a bit more of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment