Sunday, May 17, 2009

Harder and Harder



















It seems like it is getting harder and harder to ride, and now with the weather getting warmer midday rides are out. Olly and I are getting used to each other more and more every day. He is really starting to trust me. A few weeks ago we went on a trail ride. I noticed he is more willing to take a chance just based on me telling him it is ok. He is looking around less and is more relaxed. Even though his "relaxed" on a trail is trotting.






My husband, Larry, bought me a GPS with a heart rate monitor. My friend Stacy (she has Klein, Olly's girlfriend) recommended the style. It works great! We took the ridge trail up to the flats, this was the test. We walked down to the end of the grass, look around and get used to the area. No bomb testing today. Perfect for a nice canter. I can feel that he wants to turn and go back, he knows what the deal is. So I turn him toward the trail home and we start off at a trot. As soon as he settles in i give him the ok to canter. We get a good pace and I give him his head. He speeds up but nothing to rave about. I glance down at my wrist to look at my little bundle of gold and it says 21.4 mph. I have been wondering how fast my sweet Olly is. I didn't even put my legs on him! Could you imangine how fast he would go if I pushed him? And that was after riding 2.5 miles!! It seemed like he could hold this pace for quite some time. We finish our trail ride, at a slower pace.






After going home and downloading my information off the GPS, I find out he maxed out the canter at 22mph! I can't wait to do more training and see how much we can inprove. I know that it isn't about speed, but it kinda feels good.






This week we have been working more on transitions than anything. I have been using crossrails and ground poles to really get him stretching and collecting. I think this will build up the confidence more too. Good riding and confidence equals kick ass team. And to beef up the "kick ass" team we are going to be attending the Mark Conley Clinic in June. I attended his clinic this past March and learned so much. Now I can't wait to have Olly there. It is exciting.






Even though I haven't been able to ride but a handful of times in the past few weeks, Olly and I have been spending alot of time together. Everyday I go out and brush him and give him lots of love. It puts a smile on my face just to see him. Oh, and just so you know, every Friday is bath night. Gotta keep my man lookin' good! Mark my words, we will be on TV one day. One day....

No comments:

Post a Comment