Monday, January 4, 2010

Repetition




I look out my window this morning and this is what I see.

At first glance you might think that my horse is dead, but if you look closely, he is just trying to absorb any and all warm sunlight possible. Today was a bit warmer, I only wore one pair of gloves. It helped that the wind died down to a breeze. We started out like any other ride, walking down the lane to our trail. Remember the little creek I said we went over? Well it took us 15 minutes to go over today. DON'T ask me why!! It was like it was lined with snakes. The first few tries he came close, then I used a bit of aid enhancement, an old dead flower, and after 13 minutes of coaxing and calming I just got off and made him walk over the stupid thing. Tomorrow I will take a picture just so you can see how SMALL it really is. I mean, seriously!!! It isn't the Grand Canyon!!!! So once he made it over I gave him a good boy and repeated the crossing like 15 times, one for every minute he wasted!!! Then I got on and made him cross 15 times again. I would understand if this was a bit of a task, but it wasn't AND(!!!) he crossed it FINE yesterday! I am not sure if I will ever figure out his mind! After the "river" crossing we walk towards the boat launch. I thought he might like to see his friends that he met a few weeks ago. On our way we did trotting and cantering sets. Once we were like a 1/2 mile from the horses he started perking up, he remembered the place. i was actually surprsed. I know horses are smart animals, but MY horse didn't seem to remember a creek that was only a foot wide and how it wouldn't hurt him, yet he can remember a paddock of horses from a month ago. Again, I am not sure if I will get a handle on his mind. He did react better than last time. We ended up riding for about 6.5 miles. And we both enjoyed it alot more than yesterday. This cold weather is taking a toll on all of us. For me my diet has changed too, but not in the way Olly's has. I have cut back on alot of foods that I would normally eat on a daily basis. In the winter I hate going outside in the cold, therefore I am less active and do not need all that much to keep me going. I try to eat more veggies and fruit and as always drink alot of water. Let me tell you this is somewhat difficult since my children were home for vacation. Snack, snack here snack snack there...for the kids that is fine, but not for me. Olly on the other handneeds to take in 3 times as much. He has free range hay and water, and he is grained once daily with Legend Performance (14% protein) and I ass 1/2c oil and 2 oz of a weight builder. He is a tough keeper in the winter, but I think that is due to his TB metabolism. Thankfully winters are usually short in Va! I go out to check the horses every night at like 2100-2200, When I got out and check if it is colder than usual (and it has been for the past 3 nights) I polo wrap his legs. Olly is from a warm temperature climate and HATES the winter as much as I do. He tends to stand and not move around as much when the temp drops, in turn he gets stocked up. Instead of reacting, I try to act. I don't go all out with standing wraps. I don't think he needs that much. Just a little help when it get cold...that is what mom's are for! So tonight the blanket is on the hay is out and the wraps are velcro'd. Good night!!

305 Stats
walk Lap 1 0.35 mi avg speed 1.4 mph
trot Lap 2 1.34 mi avg speed 8.1mph
walk Lap 3 0.75 mi avg speed 3.0mph
canter Lap 4 0.81 mi avg speed 11.8mph
walk Lap 5 0.68mi avg speed 3.7mph
trot Lap 6 0.57 mi avg speed 7.1mph
canter Lap 7 0.85 mi avg speed 14.0mph
walk Lap 80.86 mi avg speed 3.5mph

Total

6.31 miles
1h20m
Avg Speed 4.7mh
Max Speed 18.7mph
Calories Burned 3978cal
**Calories burned is based on human calculations**

No comments:

Post a Comment