Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dressage moments/Full course/Big Move

So there is alot going on in my life right now. First things first we are moving....AGAIN. I am not proud to say that we are moving and it is not the military's fault this time. When we chose to live at this house with 9 acres a 3 stall barn and 3000sq feet, I agreed to get a job. Two months after moving into the house I started back to school for nursing. I decided that I did not want to work, go to school, take care of my family, take care of my mini farm, and about 100 other things all at the same time. After thinking long and har Husband and I have decided to move on post to save money until I get out of school. It will eliminate me having to get a job. We have to sell Kiki...which it seems that I am the only one really struggling with that, and the baby goats, which we were going to sell anyway, and Yogurt (the cow) will be in the freezer. I get to keep my two dogs and of course the BigRedHorse.

Baby goaty-goat

Yogurt...he is much bigger now.
On to the important stuff!!!!
So the other day I was reading Solo's Blog and learned a ton of new info about collection. I won't explain it all, but feel free to check out her page. I read it like three times to make sure I understood what to do and headed out to give it all a try. We did ok, but not good enough. I know it is my fault. I watched the video and it seem to be having a problem with my hands bobbing. I hink that I keep hitting him in the mouth and that is making him not want to reach for the bit. The video is a bit rough. I didn't upload the entire thing, just a few tid-bits. Ok so my video didn't really upload correctly. I will getit working here soon and post it.
In the video, I see TONS of things that are wrong. I won't go through and name them because I will probably miss half. So feel free to give any pointers you can. And don't worry about my feelings...I can take it.
On to a better note...The next day I let Olly rest the dressage thing got me down, so what do I do the next time I ride? Do I practice the dressage to get better? NOPE! I go set up a full course! I set up a full course and went out to get'er done. The first jump we tackled was a 3ft vertical, everything else was around the 2'3" to 2'6" range. He did really well, HERE IS THE VIDEO. We owned that course.
I know this may be embarrassing, but I love this book. It is simple but has TON of great ideas....

Dont judge....lol

6 comments:

  1. Ok LURVE the jumping video and the song totally fit what I imagine was playing in Olly's head! :)
    I think you need to get a helmet camera or jimmy rig a mini $99 camera to your helmet! How fun for us to ride Olly over those crazy jumps too.
    Now..on to yogurt...really. That cutie pie will be in your freezer..gag. I feel I need to steal him and raise him in Detroit with me, as a pet, lol!
    As far your child's jumping book..love it. Whatever works, I'm not judging as I sing ABC's to my big horse to calm him down, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, poor little yogurt ( that is what my boys named him) will be in the freezer. That is what we bought him for. When I was little my dad raised cows for beef. It is natural fo me. Our chickens will be going in the freezer too, except for Colton's (he named him camaro lol). He will be accidentally dropped off at my new barn where Olly will be boarded.
    I do like my childrens jumping book. I LOVE illustrations and this book has tons AND it was only like $3. It has alot of good info and how to make your own jumps. Oh, and I sing too when I am jumping a course at a show. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do u sing the same song? Any I can steal!! I'm not a natural singer nor can I ever remember words, grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, what ever is stuck in my head at the time. Sometimes I count or say the ABC's. oh and when i draw a blank, I just sing, "Olly is a handsome boy....over and over!! Crazy!!! We will see how the singing goes, I have a show on the 23rd and I am jumping 2'6". Last time I did 18". I think that was a little too low.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments!

    Wow you made some great jumps. I couldn't believe he jumped over he tarp thingy. My horse broke my finger when I tried to make him step on a tarp. I now have some ideas for when I bring him home in July to a trail riding barn that has no jumps.

    Do you see your distances? In the video he hit each jump perfectly. I can see my distances from 3 strides out which is too late to do anything. I have been known to grab mane and close my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. WetReins, Thank you olly and I have been working together for a litle over a year now. I seem to know if I am not going to hit the strides, I just have a hard time adjusting him. He LOVES to speed through the jumps. I have grabbed mane alot! He really likes jumping, lol.
    When I first got olly he wouldn't even go over ground poles. It was all I had to get him over a cross rail. In the begining, I am a bit embarrassed to say, but, I actually jumped the jumps WITH him...yes, I led him over the jumps. Me first with Olly tagging along closely behind. Somehow I made it happen. We are going to a hunter/jumper show on the 23rd of this month. We are jumping in the low hunter class, which is 2'6". It will be the second show this year. I will totally have video and pics up.
    Oh, and I just fell off in April over a 2'6" skinny at the Lucinda Green clinic and almost busted my finger too. The joint is still jacked up. It looks like an old lady finger...lol.
    Tanks for all the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete