Sunday, May 2, 2010

Practical Horseman ain't got nothin' on me!

So the other day when i was thinking up jump patterns, I set up two jumps that were about 15ft apart making an angle. The VIDEO I took was posted last week-ish. Olly did great, after a few tries he owned the turns. It helped him understand that you never knowwhat jump I will be pointing him to and that he will always have to be collected somewhat to make those turns. He owned it...not as much to the right. He must be a lefty like me ;). Anyway, I got my Practical Horseman a few days ago and I saw the "Tackle Tricky Lines" article. AWESOME! It was almost exactly the same thing I did last week. All I had to do was add one more jump. I have been wanting to try it out. Today would be a perfect day.
My friends from Savannah, Ga are in town. We were stationed with them in Hawaii a few months back. Perfect time to show off the BigRedHorse's mad skills.
I started out by setting up the jumps like they suggested in the magazine. After a few warm up jumps we gave'er a try. Nothing is too difficult for my BigRedHorse!!! He did pretty good, while trotting in. Then we decided to canter in. Not-so-much. We missed the second jump, guess that is where the whole collection comes in, huh? Back at the trot we did awesome! Next time we are gonna own it at a canter. It was so hot out that we decided to call it quits after only 4-5 tries. It was 1100 and it was already 90*. I am not complaining, I love summer. I hate winter. Here is the VIDEO from today.
On the way home MJ (my Savannah GF) hopped on and rode Olly home.

MJ and Olly

What a great rider!!!

Most of my non-horsey friends seem fearful hopping up on this 16.1h TB that just jumped 2-3ft like it was nothing. Not her. She hopped right on and rode him like it was nothing. I love it when people aren't scared of my horse. Sometimes just being fearful lets the horse know that they are in control. Olly is a great boy, but he will take advantage of anything he can. MJ would be a great equestrian. She wasn't fearful and actually had good form. A few lessons and she would be on her way. It was a short ride, but we accomplished alot. Good Boy!!!

5 comments:

  1. AWWWW, I had fun being your side cheerleader while watching you live! It was nice watching you and being your litte mini helper, LMAO. Id love to take some lessons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I can't even attempt something like that yet, but I'm living vicariously here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool...love how he just makes it look so easy for him! What a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is getting better and better. I can't wait til he does it on the first round-at a canter! Those jumps were 2'6" and when I watched the video it was like he was just popping over them. I am proud of my BigRedHorse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, I have not read that article yet, I don't think, now I want to try that one. Y'all schooled it great!

    ReplyDelete