Monday, February 22, 2010

Bitless Bridle Anyone?

So I finally got my Christmas stuff from my mom. She got me a bitless bridle. I was totally stoked to use it. So Saturday I saddled up and headed out. I could tell right away before we even got into a trot that he was not feeling this new bridle. I set up my camera and got a bit of video. We started out trotting and he was moving out, but a bit flat. I tried to collect him a bit and he just shook his head. I could hardly put any pressure on the reins. We moved into a canter and that is when the fun started, not for Olly of course. After a few circles he was startig to feel more pissy. He did buck a few times, although they weren't rodeo bucks, they were Olly, get DQ'ed from your dressage pattern bucks. I noted them on the video. He also seemed to feel a bit speedy and didn't want to use his brakes. I really had to use my seat and legs. Basically, this bridle was a glorified halter, I may have better luck with a halter. He was being a good boy, nothing that was unacceptable, I was just trying to stay out of his way so the bridle didn't make him too uncomfortable.

Can't figure out how to get the video on here, so here is the link.


I really felt bad after about 10 minutes. He REALLY didn't like the bridle. He was confused on the reining, I mean he is totally used to direct reining and to have the pressure over the nose he just wasn't feeling it. We walked down our little trail with the creek. Which BTW, he totally went over without a fight. A few weeks back I said that I would post a picture of the "snake filled" creek, so here it is...

Yup, that's it....

We decided to go back to the house and change out bridles. On my way back, my brother-in-law was speeding down the lane and came to a sliding stop next to Olly and I. Apparently my youngest son, Travis, was having a severe insulin reaction and was needing my assistance. So I hauled ass back to the house and threw Olly in the back yard and headed in the house. We ended up in the hospital with an IV dextrose drip, but he is doing ok now. So I haven't been able to try out my new Happy Mouth French Link bit. I have 3 that I will be experimenting with over the next week. French Link D, Mullen Elevator and Full Cheek Mullen. I will have videos on each. Feel free to pick apart my video in any way. I am always open for a good critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment