Friday, February 26, 2010

Bits Galore!


The bitless, see how thrilled he is?

So after the bitless bridle tryout, we decided to make our way back to the bit closet and pick out something that wouldn't encourage bucking and head shaking. Next up on the list a French Link boucher. I know Olly likes the french links, but he seemed to have a bit of a high head and being speedy. I did try him in a kimberwike, which seemed to work out great, but I just don't think he needs that "strong" of a bit right now. The middle ground? A Boucher!

Olly and his Boucher!

Still snaffle-y, but with a little poll pressure to keep the giraffe mode in check. He seemed to like it. I did notice that he was more willing to run off a bit with it though. I think he is just testing it out. We started out with a little flat work, just to get used to it in his mouth and then we tried a few jumps. Nothing complicated. He would have done great if we weren't going 80mph. What is up with the speed? I have changed the food, which seemed to help for a short time and I changed his bit. I decided to go back to the barn where I took lessons before I moved. Brandywine Farms, I love that place, I wish Istill lived only 5 minutes away. The people are great and the learning curve is amazing.I packed up all my stuff at like 1445 in the afternoon and headed out for my 1700 lesson.

Saddling up



The indoor, which was awesome in 38* weather and gail force winds

It took me 1h20min to get there, but it was worth it. After not being in a lesson for a few months and working hard on Olly, I had forgotten all the right things to do for myself. It was a nice change to be able to jump anything and not wonder if the horse I was on was going to go over or not. After only a few laps over the jumps I realized that maybe the speed that I was battling with Olly wasn't due to feed or open grass. It was my too forward seat. Now, I haven't been out to try out my theory yet today, but I have a good feeling that this may solve alot. Since that forward seat increases speed, it also throughs off our strides and the actual jump. I anticipate, he anticipates. Maybe that is why I have such a hard time getting him over those spooky jumps? AND!! If I am riding forward, and he refuses, I am on step away from going over his head. I haven't (knock on wood) lost it over a jump, yet. And I am striving with all my power and pride not to. So lter today if I can get my homework done and the wind DIES down to hurrican force level, I am going to put my theories to work.
Oh, and I would like to take a minute for a ProMo, I got these new sturrips, they have the flex bars on the side, they are AWESOME! My knees thank the makers of these sturrips. When we moved to Hawaii, I started running and the more miles I ran the more my knees started to bother me. Anything over 3 miles would kill me. After going to the doctor, he gave me stretches to do, which fixed the running part. Now I can run my five miles with no problems. BUT riding is another story. After a few times around the "arena" posting they start to ache. I tested a pair out and instantly fell in love. So thank you to my Mommy for getting me a pair!
The twinkle adds a nice touch.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful horse! I just found your blog, I'll be back :) What's your boys reg. name?

    ReplyDelete