Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lead Changes

So after the show I , obviously, watched the videos of my jumping classes. As I said in the last post, I had no idea that I was on the wrong lead. Sad, I know, but it's the truth. Olly and I set out Tues to do some lead change practicing. I decided to use the french link D-ring, just because that is what I used in the show. I knew that speed was gonna be an issue after having a few days off, but I wanted to try it.
We started warming up and I could feel the power just pushing him along. He was waiting for a chance to go. I have mixed feelings on how I should handle his horse-y ADD. Do I let him run and get it all out or do I make him focus? Both maybe? I don't know. So here is what I did. After we warmed up we went over a few low, not even 2ft, jumps. He rushed and at every lead change he took the cue as "go faster." I set up a 2'9" ramped oxer.

I knew that would slow him down. Now, I know that this is no excuse, but the lower the jumps the faster he seems to think he can go. They are like mini speed-bumps to him. I notice that he starts to think about them around 2'6".  I have a video for you guys. Notice that at first he starts out more speedy and then realizes he needs to slow it down a bit. I do half-halt him and get him to collect(mildly) but at some point it would be considered pulling on him. So I usually keep him in somewhat  of a form and then let him figure it out on his own. You will notice that he does slow down by the end. After the oxer I set two jumps (low 2ft and 2'6") and work on landing on the correct lead, if we don't land correctly then we change...but you knew that. Also a huge problem that I have noticed is that he will change in the front and not in the back and I am left with this cross-firing twisted canter. NOT fun!! Again...collection. I tried to keep him a bit more together to help out.


As the session moves along, he does give me a nice canter. I know he is capable of it, it is just a matter of getting him to do it. And the lead changes did happen. Now to work on the neatness of those changes, because they were pretty sloppy.

Last thing: I wore my boots at the show. They were just boader line too tall. I have been keeping up with using them every time I ride and it is paying off. I rode in this video with them all buttoned up and they wre comfy!! Yeah!! Thanks mama!!!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pic of you two at the end of your post..so cute!
    He has ENERGY! Now..is he a spooky boy too? Or just wants to Ruuuun his little TB off? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is spooky too...he has gotten better. If I am paying attention, I pretty much know what he will spook at. I can catch him and talk to him and then he is ok. If I am in la-la land...he will side-step and sometimes I go off. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the music. He is such a cute boy and I love his tail flick every time he does a lead change. I wonder if you could work on those half halts at a walk and trot to get him to listen to your hand more and slow him down a bit. You have got a nice jumper there though:)!

    ReplyDelete