Thursday, April 8, 2010

Learner Becomes the Teacher

So this week I have been totally busy. My mom, step-dad, sis and bro came to visit us in Va. Perfect opportunity to teach my sister how to ride, or start to teach her how to ride. She(Mollee) is 12 years old and has only ridden Olly once. Luckily I have a trusty Chincoteague she can ride. She even brought her own chaps! I was so excited that she actually wanted to ride. She isn't much of a outdoor person. Dirt and Mo don't mix.



We started out with the basics, heels down, sit up straight and so on. She seemed to get it easily. We played follow the leader and set up some ground poles to walk over. We even did some trotting. At first I walked Olly over the ground poles.



 We walked slow since they were only like 2 ft apart. lol. Perfect Kiki stride though. She did quite well.



 On to learning diagonals and 2pt.

Since her balance isn't up to a consistant riders, we decided to sit the trot a bit. Again, not bad. To the ground poles!!! The first few times she went right over perfectly straight, but then Kiki started noticing that this kid isn't so on it. That is when the "pony" came out. Little innocent Kiki became the naughty Chincoteague. Dodging and trying to turn to the house.

I know Mo was getting irritated, but I thought it was great. Nothin' like keeping ya on your toes when your pony decided to do her own thing.
Olly on the other hand was bored beyond all compare. He walked with his head hung low and just tried to keep the slow pony pace. I did have him trot and canter to keep him thinking and I had him go over the coop a couple times. He seemed satisfied and so did I. It was an easy day for him.

On our walk back to the house we evaluated our session. Overall I think Mo did great! I think she had fun, although after looking at the pics she looked entirely too pissy to be happy, but I was reassured by her that she did indeed have fun. I really wish that she or I lived closer. I think that she would make a great little equesterian.

2 comments:

  1. That is SO fun! First off I love a pony, especially wicked ones, don't know why but they make me laugh. Not that Kiki is wicked.
    My sister and I are 6 yrs apart and super super close and went HBriding together when I went to visit her in South Africa on a gorgeous sunset ride. Literally the prettiest ride I've ever taken. She did well for being maybe 3 times on a horse, mainly bc she is so 'zen' and the horse felt it. Good for you for taking your sister out. Is Kiki for your kids, or for Olly, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is for both. When we first moved to Va Olly jumped a four ft fence to get out. I don't think he really knew where he was going, he just went. Colton my oldest twin rides her also.

    ReplyDelete