Sunday, September 12, 2010

Last minute mind change...

Originally, I had planned to write about how much of a FAIL this weekend was. After prepping for a show I planned on attending and clipping the BigRedHorse incorrectly and leaving him to look like a ra-tard, the show was cancelled due to "sprinkles." Whatever, I'll get over it.



While sulking and surfing YouTube, (watching Stacey's new hill video) I found this Awesome video, as the title states. Now, at first glance it looks like a regular upper level jumper horse and course. BUT-after reading the description the video became almost tear-jerking.



After watching the video, I thought wow...amazing. You hear these stories about horses that came from nothing and were in poor health and now after years of love and dedicated hard work, are these amazing athletes that love their owners.
Hmmmmmm...wonder who do I know that has a horse that came from nothing, was given lots of love, hard work and is now amazing?? Let me think...
The BIGREDHORSE!!! Now, Olly wasn't in poor health, unless you count 15 different scratches on him from his paddock bullies, but he did come from nothing.
Oh? You want to hear the story??

I originally got Olly from Gunstock Ranch in Kahuku on the North Shore on Oahu. Yes, the BigRedHorse was on a cow hearding ranch. Interesting...
Anyway, I get a phone call from Holly (HollyWildWare) telling me there is a gorgeous horse that just came in amd I NEED to come see him. See, I had just given up looking for a horse on the Island. I pack up Husband and the kids and head out to check out this horse. We walk back to this paddock and he is the only horse willing to come to the gate. All I see is this puppy dog that is 1100 pounds. I slap a halter (that was provided by Holly, since his "owner" didn't have one) and walk him up to the round pen. I let him off his lead and made him move out around the pen. I instantly fell in love. He was so floaty and scopey! He moved with out effort. I knew that he would be mine. I didn't know how I was gonna pay the $8000 price tag, but then again, who pays full price for a horse? Not this mama.
I pull him out and put a saddle on him. I couldn't get over how pretty he was. I know he isn't conformationally perfect, but he was the closest I had ever gotten to. He was even better under saddle. He was totally obedient and really felt like he wanted to please. Win and WIN!

As idiotic as this next sentence may sound.....just go with it. Husband talked to the owner and we bought Olly for $4000. No vet check, no off site ride, nothing. I knew that I might get myself in trouble, but for some reason I did it anyway. I groomed him and marvelled at MY new horse and headed home. I knew right away he needed a name. I am not one for re-naming animals after they had been named for years, but Monte had to go. The next day, I went back out to spend some time with my boy. I had run out to buy a halter and the only one I could find was a rope halter (well, one I liked). I put it on him and tied him to the hitching post. Not 5 minutes later, he pulls back, feels the tension, and powers back 15 feet almost up-rooting the hitching post. I think--what did I just do. I just paid $4000 for a horse that is whacked out. Hoping Husband didn't see the fiasco (and he did) I get him and me back together and continue grooming.







The following day I had Olly trailered to Wheeler where I would be boarding him. Now, for the fun stuff...
The "owner"  told me that he had just gotten Olly from a firend that was over on the Windward side of the Island. He was kept at Maunawili Farms for years. The word on the playground was that Ollys mom bought him locally had him broke and put him to pasture, due to her health. "Mom" ended up dying (so sad) and was taken care of by the daughter. "Daughter" ended up leaving for school in New York and couldn't afford to keep or even visit him. The deal? Areared board fees for the horse. Now, since the BO (barn owner) didn't need another horse, he gave Olly to a firend. That's right GAVE! So this guy made out like a fat rat! Any way!!!  Olly's partents were both on the Island. His dad was a really prominent TB stallion, which died and I wasn't able to get my hads on any pics, and his mom is living at Kawaialoa Ranch. She is part TB and draft, from what I hear. So, the BigReedHorse is like 1/4 draft. You would never know by looking at him....buttttt...I still have my doubts. So, I buy Olly (then, Monte) from this cow-poke and am totally ok with it. I would pay that much again. I love my boy and wouldn't trade him for the world. Oh and it took me a week to come up with a name for him. It was my BFF Kristen who thought of Jolly Roger. Her daughter was obsessed with the Backyardigans and their pirate episode. I liked the name, but couldn't figure out what I would call him daily. I didn't like Roger and soooo didn't like Jolly. Olly it is!!! Thanks Kristen!!!
So, we have Olly (Jolly Roger). The BEST BigRedHorse EVER!!!
So back to the video in the begining....
My original point was that one day Olly and I might be where she is.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer, I was looking forward to the show report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the video!!

    Bummer about the show. Will you try for another one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww..I dont think I ever knew your meeting story! So great! :) AND 1/4 draft does make sense..it's where his brains are, lol! We know the TB's have some loose screws.
    So what is up w/ the military offering so many boarding options that are great?! If I knew that as a kid, I may have done something different! ;) Who knew there are that many horse lovers in the military!!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will totally attend another show. I have a xc schooling set up for Sept 26-27, a horse trial Oct 10, the rain date to last weekends show Oct 31 and another horse trial in Nov. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete