Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ok before I continue with my awesome weekend, I need help. Friday morning I had the farrier come out for a trim. I was unable to be there because I had to work, so I had Kelsey hold. She knows about feet so I felt comfortable. While he was doing Olly's feet, he mentioned to Kelsey that Olly is heavy on his feet. Meaning, that he really gives them a beating, in addition to the jumping and that he uses his right rear leg/hoof more than the left. He suggested that he has shoes put on to prevent lameness in the future.
INSTANTLY I thought maaaaaan...and he has done so well barefoot. Why would I want to change a good thing.
HERE is where I need your help. What do I do? I, mean, I know that I will have to make my own decision based on what is best for Olly, barefoot or not. But I really don't know alot about it. So far my only decision is to get a second opinion. But for those of you who are out there and are interested...here are a few bits of info that you might want to consider. Earlier this summer (late June early July) Olly and I took a jump and he hit his foot. It was more like a xc jump in the sense it was fixed and didn't fall. I have added the video.


He had one month off, no riding at all and seemed to make a good recovery. Now, he was never "lame" per-say. He just had swelling in the cannon and fet. I would wrap him with cold polos during the day (when he was stalled) and leave him to his stall and small paddock (by himself) at night. The swelling diminished eventually and we went back to just riding. Mostly dressage work and trail riding and we didn't get back to jumping until late August/early Sept. Up until now there has been no sign of lameness and his long distance and jumping have improved. In my personal, non-professional, opinion, I think he has done quite well with out shoes. He has been barefoot since he came from Hawaii(Aug 2009). We have done a ton of training in the past year and I haven't seen any signs of him even almost lame. So, now you have the whole story-let me know your opinions!!!!
BACK TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BIGREDHORSE....


Where were we? Oh, yes, Day 2 at Frying Pan Park.
On the second day we finally figured out how Olly busted four lead ropes. He would just sit down at the trailer and snap them like dental floss. I guess he is just on his own program. I have had people tell me to tie him to a tree and let him fight it out, then there is don't tie him. The best one which I have seen, yet have not tried, is (courtsey of Kelsey's mom, she is awesome by the way) tie his butt to the trailer with a collar and when he sits scare the crap outta him until he stands back up. This is the method I chose. We fashioned a collar out of one of the broken leads and tied him. Long, irritating story short...he sat once or twice and he didn't try it again. WIN!
We signed Kelsey up for her class and headed back to the trailer to get Olly ready. It was rainy and humid. The grass had dried a bit since we got up. I was nervouse about running on the wet grass, but I thought, well, there will be times when I will have to run in the rain, so let's get this show on the road!



We started out in the arena warming up and did a few of the verticals and oxers in there.

There were a bunch more jumps that we didn't get to on Day 1 that I was dying to jump. Olly wasn't as focused. He had Ben (his new boyfriend) in the arena and he could see him from afar. Not good when you are trying to focus and you end up checking someone out. So we had to move out. Here are the videos of the course. Now just a little FYI, in case I screw up the days. Day 1 I had on black breeches and Day 2 I had on blue. Not to mention Day 1 was sunny and Day 2 was not.




Again, these videos are not edited. so be gentle. I am always open to critques, but be polite.











So we were going to do the "hill jump" but there were like 3-4 ground hog holes with caution tape. FAIL! Moving on!!!



Here is the video of Kelsey's second ride. She owned it. Unfortunately, she was too fast to win one division and too slow to win the other.



Here are some added non-horsey tid-bits from the weekend.
Deer outside our trailer. The boys wished they had a rifle, while Kelsey tried explaining that deer aren't always food. Boys-1 Kelsey-0


 
Notice what foot is being used....Interesting, huh??


Sweet!!

I love this picture!!!


My little monkies....

What is camping without smores and a retarded mom???


The drive home.

 

4 comments:

  1. I mean..can I even be your friend anymore?! You guys are so awesome it's insane..you're kinda a celeb to me now! ;)
    Ok-regarding barefoot..it's always SUCH a tough choice and there are so so so many cases that support each side. You may already read these two blogs but if not, I'm passing along. One is an eventer xc whose mare Gogo is barefoot..she talks about their rehab from an injury and should she have been shod if it would have prevented it or made it worse..
    another is a girl who knows a ton of barefoot and does it w/ TB's, etc.
    http://eventing-a-gogo.blogspot.com/
    http://dressagewannabes.blogspot.com/
    Both girls have tons of knowledge and would email u back if u wanted to talk to them too, etc. I think once you put shoes on..it's a commit b/c it takes so long to get them back to a healthy barefoot. The foot naturally flexs so shoes constrict that, I think...
    Anyway, you guys look awesome..that xc course is SICK!!! How fun that you and Kelsey had that fun weekend..and the cutie boys too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, Thank you so much for all the info! I talk to Andrea all the time with my barn/horsey dilemas. lol The other blog however, I will check out. I am totally an advocate for barefeet...that is why I am having such a problem. I think I may wait it out since winter will be here soon and then I will be leaving for Basic. I will have to re-visit this in the future, but for now I can learn all I can.
    As for still being friends-totally!!! lol I am still going to try to make it out to you one Indiana visit. I promise!!! I am totally proud of Olly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Pru! I'm Meghann from dressagewannabes. Kristen told me that your blog is awesome and that I should come over and read it. So (*waves*) here I am!

    Your boy Olly is goooorgeous and I am so jealous of you guys tearing up that XC course! I grew up in a hunter/jumper barn but have been really getting the itch to start eventing. (The blog is "dressage wannabes" only because I was working with a super-green TB gelding for a friend, and she wanted him to be a dressage pony -- I started the blog so she could read about our adventures, since she's in Chicago & I'm in Miami.)

    OK, I will stop blithering and get to the point! I'm wondering if an X-ray of that hoof that was banged would be helpful (??). I know they're super-expensive and he was never lame on that hoof...but I'm definitely an "always be extra-cautious" kinda girl, expecially when it comes to horses. I don't know, it might tell you something helpful and it might tell you nothing...just throwin' it out there.

    As far as shoes vs. barefoot, I've definitely become very much pro-barefoot recently. And, honestly, your horse should be able to go barefoot (or with boots) as long as he is getting a true barefoot trim & not a pasture trim. Pete Ramey's site www.hoofrehab.com has a lot of great articles that explain a true barefoot trim. I also recently did a blog post going over the basics, and included some links to a few more very helpful sites that are chock-full of info.

    Another relatively inexpensive way to improve the quality of your horse's hooves is to put pea-gravel down in heavily-trafficked areas. It gently supports and exfoliates the sole, & also helps toughen up the hooves. Foot-sore horses will just stand in it and reeelaaaax because it feels so good on their sore little feet. Another option is Keratex Hoof Hardener, which is amaaaaaazing stuff for improving hoof quality.

    Sorry to write such a novel! And I've only read a little bit of your blog so far, so my apologies if I'm telling you stuff that you already know! Good luck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, horses getting untied from the trailer is so annoying. Cruizer likes to switch between sitting down until the lead breaks, and untying his lead rope. I have no idea how, but he has figured out how to undo a quick release knot. He's never tried to go anywhere, he usually just eats grass right where he was tied. But it still gives me a heart attack every time. Needless to say he is NEVER left alone at shows anymore.

    ReplyDelete