Saturday, October 9, 2010

So, I went to the FEI Games....

This past weekend I attended the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Kelsey and I went to the FEI Games in Lexington!!!! Since I couldn't go to the whole thing, I had to pick one day. Now, to me that was almost like trying to pick your favorite child. You just can't. I ended up going with the Cross Country.
We left Friday night after Kelsey got off work. We drove until midnight and stopped for a few hours in a hotel to get some sleep. We got up at 0530, showered and got back on the road to make it to the games by 0730. The total drive was eight hours. Once we got there it was like we were kids in a candy shop. The only thing that sucked was it was 38* out!!

Can you see Kelsey's breath?
Give me a break!! This was my first experience being around this level of riding. I have to admit, I was a bit overwhelmed. We walked to the ticket line and it all seemed sureal. I'm going to see Hawley Bennet. I'm going to see Karen O'Connor. Mark Todd, Phillip Dutton, Boyd Martin....I wanted to scream like a little girl. For the sake of my dignitity, I contained myself. Kelsey on the other hand, called her mom, dad and grandmother...at 0730. 


We made it!!!
We took a few deep breaths and got back on track: find the water complex. By 0820 we were standing just 100ft from the 6'6" drop of the fourth jump in the water complex.


Look how close!!!!
Eeeeeeeeekkkk!!! Start time 0915, but was soon delayed to 1015. Either way I would have waited all day. We had great "seats." We stood and watched all the big name eventers walk the course. It was so hard to not go up and talk to them. I mean, they were within am arms reach...and we aren't suppose to ask them any questions? Come on!! I behaved. The course was huge! 28 jumps to be completed in roughly 11 minutes. Who says these animals aren't athletes?

At 1015 the first horse galloped onto the grassy track. It was 5 minutes before we saw the first bit of action. It was amazing. I had my camera ready. We sat for six hours without moving, for fear of losing our seats. After Karen ran, we picked up (and shared our seats) and walked the rest of the course. Here are the videos.

Hawley Bennet


Becky Holder

Boyd Martin

Karen O'Connor

Mark Todd

Rebecca Howard

After watching all the amazing horses and riders from this weekend, I felt empowered and set out with the BigRedHorse.  Olly has been off all last week due to massive rain. Well, not totally off. I did attempt to ride him while it was raining. Pouring is more like it. we rode in the arena for 15 minutes, just long enough for me to get soaked. I unsaddle and as I am walking out of the barn I slip and fall in a huge mud puddle. FAIL. Although it is better than falling while I was riding, I was still a bit disappointed.  Anyway....back to what I was saying. He has just about evey day off last week, so this week he was a fire breathing dragon. Yesterday I rode him and dare not jump. He was pulling through the bit just wanting to go. I took him out ot our grassy track and breezed him down and finished with a good trotting set. He loved every minute of it. Today I decided to take him out first and after he got all the bugs out, jump him in the arena. here are the videos.
Video to be posted when I figure out this STUPID editing software!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment