Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The "little" RedHorse??

Lately, it has taken everything I have had to make it out to see the BigRedHorse. Army stuff, work, kids, husband and just plain life has made it a struggle. I do make a point to at least go out and see him, even if I couldn't ride. I think it's important to spend time with my boy on an eye to nostril level. lol. Today was no exception. Tuesday's and Wednesday's I work 0800-1600. That hardly leaves any Olly time, especially since the sun is setting at like 1820. FAIL. As soon as I make it home, it's kids, cleaning and homework. I hop on the computer for a small break and see that FaceBook says I have a new "messege." I click on the little envelope and see a name I can hardly pronounce. At first I think it's spam, but quickly see it has something to do with a horse. Of course, I had to read it then. By the time I was half way finished reading it, the tears were starting to well up. Kelsey happened to be on the phone to witness it. After hanging up I just sat at the computer looking at the picture that was attached at the end of the messege. Now, the tears were flowing. Some how, some way, Olly's previous owner had found me and attached a picture of a LittleRedHorse nursing on his mama. Don't ask me why, but for some reason this picture just melted me. It made me all the more appreciative of my boy. It made me think of how far we have come together and how much trust we have developed with each other.
After composing myself, I packed up the boys and headed to the barn. I walked right out and grabbed my BigRedHorse and gave him the biggest hug. I brought him into his stall and changed the fly sheet for the rain sheet. It is suppose to be chilly tonight, and this here Va weather ain't like Hawaii. I grained him and gave him extra hay to help stay warm. I stood there and looked at him as he looked at me and said thank you to Hiilei (Olly's previous owner) for making the decision to give him up. Because if she didn't have the strength to move on, I would never have my most favoritest horse in the world. So while wiping the tears away, AGAIN, here is the messege and picture that she sent.

Hi Prudence,

I have been following your blog for the last couple of months after the manager from Kawailoa Ranch sent me the link - who would have thought that my old horse would ever have a blog?
While I never thought that I would be getting in touch with you, I can't help myself after reading the story about how you and Olly 'met.' The whole process of losing him broke my heart. Me - "daughter" - tried to do the best I could in the wake of my mother's death, preparing for my father's death, and trying to make ends meet while in school. On the "playground" I'm sure that I seemed quite careless, but being 25, losing both parents, and having a dwindling bank account will do that to you. I felt overwhelmed with helplessness. As you can tell, it still stings, and I ache when I think of holding that little colt when he was just a couple of days old. It always brings a tear-filled night.

Seeing him so well loved helps, and I don't think that very many people are so lucky to see that chronicled on the internet. I'm happy that despite me, he has a wonderful home.

Please don't feel that you have to respond to this - for some reason, after reading that post of yours, I just felt like I had to say my piece. Even before you, he was dearly dearly loved.

I'm attaching one of his baby pictures, since I think you'd like to have one. There are more, but not already scanned.

Take care of you and your big red horse.

Best,
Hi'ilei
The LittleRedHorse.

Now, I have to say, I did respond. And I want Hiilei to know that in no way, shape or form, did I ever think that Olly was not loved by her or her family. I have talked to TON'S of people on the Island that told me many of stories about my BigRedHorse and his Oahu adventures and the story always ended with, he is a great horse, or he is such a good boy. So....I just want to say, who ever sent my blog address to Hiilei, THANK YOU.
If at any time anyone has any picture of the BigRedHorse, please share. After all, he is one of the most awesomest horses on the internet.

7 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Beebee horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool! I would LOVE for this to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg omg omg!!!!!!! Ru kidding?! This is THE SWEETEST picture in the world..I would pay to have Laz's baby pics! How awesome that she reached out to you..from one Momma to antoher..BRH is LOVED!! So damn sweet!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you apologized for bashing Olly's previous owner when you found out her story!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all StaceyJean, I never "bashed" Olly's previous owner, I would like to think that you read the blog post about how I got my BigRedHorse, but after reading your comment, I see that you didn't. Please refrain from commenting if you don't know the whole story. I am not a rude person and appreciate all the information that Hiilei disclosed.

    ReplyDelete