Sunday, March 28, 2010

First Jumping Show

Yesterday started out VERY early. I got up at 0400 to check my youngests blood sugar(remember his is diabetic) and couldn't fall back asleep. I had the alarm set for 0515. I didn't know what was worse the excitement for showing or only kowing I had 1hr and 15 min til I had to get up. I layed in bed for about 40 minutes tossing and turning and then decided that it was a lost cause. After getting dressed, sluggishly, I headed out to pull the trailer up to the top of the hill. My drive is so steep it is hard on the BigRedHorse and truck to pull it up, so I park it at the top and then load. As soon as I stepped outside I turned right back around to go back in to get another jacket, that's right ANOTHER. It was FREEZING. All week we have had temps in the upper 60's and lower 70's. This morning a whopping 30*. How did I get so lucky? (note sarcasm) I am soooo glad I put Olly's blanket on him the night before. I walked out to get Olly from the paddock and I think I woke him. He usually neighs when he hears me coming, but this morning he didn't until I was right at the gate. Even Yogurt was suprised to see me. Everything was already loaded so Olly was the missing link. I thought I may have a bit of an issue trying to load him into a dark trailer so I grabbed my flashlight. Pfffft! He walked right in.

It was 30*!!!
Yes, I was driving. Get over it.

I got in the truck that was so warm and toasty, I almost felt guilty for Olly, and started adding the address to my GPS. Since the barn is on a private lane it wasn't listed...oh, well. I was pretty sure how to get there. I rolled into Hunter Lane at 0655. Schooling started at 0700. Just in time :)
By this ime I had on 2 shirts and 2 sweatshirts, oh, and don't forget the gloves and hat.

We saddled up and tried to stay warm. At the begining of the schooling my instructor said Olly looked a bit stiff. All of his sheath swelling was gone, but I couldn't help but think that it was apart of it. We went over a few 2ft jumps but he just seemed like he was struggling. Now I know that 2ft isn't much of a jump. I mean, we jump higher than that on a normal day, but it made me concerned. Terri suggested to enter in the lowest height. I struggled with my own wants and eventually gave in. This is for Olly, too, remember? I went and changed all my classes.

Casey and Nevaeh, getting ready.

The arena was a mud slick from the previous day's rain. Olly didn't care much. Alot of the other horses were over jumping and chipping due to the puddles. Olly plowed right through. Water isn't a big deal, except for the snake filled creek. We finished schooling over the 18 inch jumps. He loosened up, but was far from focused. He was speedy and at times choppy. We trotted around the arena about 10 times in each direction to get all the stupid out. It worked by the time we were finished he was more relaxed.

PUDDLES!!! AHHHH!

The classes are set in divisions. They are three classes. You get individual points for each class and then get a total score for all three. At the end of the year who ever had the most points is the best, I guess....
First class, Novice Equatation 18" over fences. There are two classes like this. Basically it is the same pattern just backwards, for reasons of leads, I am sure. the third, under saddle. I really don't care about the under saddle part, but they accumulate the points for all three, so I do have to care a little.

My hair fell...

Canter

Walking or trying...note the tail swish.

The first jumping class, we blew the lead because I lost my sturrip before I even hit the first fence. In the video you can kinda see my left leg slip forward on the way to the fence. after the second fence I had to make a right turn, since I was unbalanced I didn't get the lead. Too much trying to get my sturrip back. I ride with out sturrips all the time, I shouldn't have worried so much about it and just did what I knew I had to do. It is a different story when the judge is watching though. Stupid things get  flowing in my head. I made it over all four fences with out my sturrip and picked it up as soon as I landed, go figure. Oh well, the next class will be better.
Second class, he got all his leads and was a bit more balanced and calm. Good Boy!!!! Oh and I have to comment on the video clip. I got home and downloaded the video from my camera. While watching and listening I heard someone in the back ground mention Olly and I, while I was jumping. I am not sure what they said, but I thank Casey for about ripping them a new ass. I even made a comment on the video, so make sure you have the sound up.

Here is the video.
The flat class was ok, all of you that know Olly and I KNOW we are not hunter-esk. It is amazing that he even canters at a non-lapping pace. We did place though, so I am not complaining.
We chilled until after lunch and the got ready for our next set of classes.
This year they had a class that was called "Long Sturrip." Perfect! My being 'older' and Olly being inexperienced, it worked out great. Again, two jumping one flat. I didn't get a video of the jumping, but I did for the flat. Now you will see what I mean about not being a hunter. We ended up getting third which I was soooooo proud of!!!! Good Boy!!!

Long Sturrip Flat video.

In BOTH divisions we got enough accumulated points to be Reserve Champion! Are you kidding me!!! How awesome is my BigRedHorse??!! The next show is April 18th. I am not sure if I am going yet because I have a Lucinda Green (w00t!!) clinic I am attending on the Tuesday before. But whatever show I go to next we are going to do the 2ft. I think he will be fine. I am also going to set up a few jumps in a course like pattern to practive getting leads. We usually don't have problems with leads, but the first class is still haning on.
I know there is no third, some how my "ribbon handler" mixed them up AND my kids 'misplaced' a second.

3 comments:

  1. I'm soooo jealous of your beautious ribbons! I'm a show failure, lol..my last show I think was in highschool and I would get so nervous and do so bad, that I was over it. It was a big exhale for me..but LOVE to see other people love to do it! Great job Olly and to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The worst thing you can do is not place. i try to remember to have fun. Even while on the wrong lead lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous30/3/10 18:23

    Yay!!! Congrats to you and your BigRedHorse! Well done =)

    ReplyDelete