Saturday, March 20, 2010

Go Olly, Go Olly! It's Your Birf-day!!

Yesterday I talked husband into making me a real coop. I know you have seen pics of my little 2'2" (I know, I know, I measured 2'3" but I forgot the "slanting" part). It is extremely narrow, for our level, and Olly sometimes ducks it. Not a good habit to start. So after like 3 weeks of badgering and me starting the project, he wandered out to the garage and took over. See husband is a GREAT maker of things. Jumps, chicken coops you name it and he can do it. He often tells me that I have too high expectations of his talents, but he always ends up making what I need and it always turns out pretty well. The coop was no exception. I had asked him to make it out of vinyl siding instead of plywood for more than one reason. 1) we have extra vinyl siding 2) it was cheaper than buying plywood and 3) if I fall on a hollow vinyl sided jump it will hurt WAY less than falling onto a sturdy plywood jump. The coop is 2'6" high (measured correctly this time), 2ft at the base and about 7ft wide. Why 7 ft? I am a firm believer of use what ya got. I had a 7ft plank and didn't want to cut or buy another one, so, 7ft wide.

He helped me load it in the truck and put it in my "arena." It looked awesome out there. By the time we were done making the stinking thing it was almost dark so I couldn't even try it. DRATS!

So today after our boat ride in the 75* weather I went out and was ready for what ever Olly was up for. I hadn't ridden him yesterday so he was well rested.

Travis enjoying the boat ride

I have been bouncing around in the bit department and haven't found a happy medium. I have gone from a loose ring french link to a kimberwicke and to no avail he wither runs through it or drops his head so low it is hard to sit up straight. Here is a little history:
Loose ring french link: this is what I used with Olly when I first bought him. It is great for any type of dressage that we are doing, but if we are in an open field forget it. He tucks his head to his chest and wants to run.
Kimberwicke: He doesn't like this bit. I know it is a mild bit compared to some, but he acts like it is a corkscrew. I have great brakes, but he carries his head very low and doesn't like to open his mouth to take it.
Boucher french link: I tried the boucher for the poll pressure. I got a worse result than with the loose ring. No brakes what-so-ever and he kept dropping his shoulder. Still not sure why about that.
Bitless: you all saw the video on that one....enough said.
3Ring Elevator Mullen Happy Mouth: I LOVE this bit!! And Olly seems to also! WIN!!!!! I know that this bit can be harsh. I actually got it on sale (my speciality) online and thought for $7 who cares if it doesn't work, it was only $7. I started out with the reins on the middle ring. this is our new jumping bit. I have great brakes and he carries his head wonderfully. He actually opens his mouth and is still very light but not in the ouch that hurts sense. The only down side...I can't show in it!!!!!!! The level that we are at (Hunter Jumper) doesn't allow it. Pfffffffft on them!!!! I am going to try a french link D-ring in warm up over a few jumps next weekend, if that is a no-go I will have to use the kimberwicke. :(
Now I am still very light with my hands. He has a very sensitive mouth, even with the loose ring I was careful to not pull and saw just to get him to stop. When I say I didn't have brakes, I meant that he didn't stop like he should. Olly has never run away with me.
In the video of our coop today, we used the elevator. His speed is more regulated and smooth, if you ask me.
Since I have gone through my bit troubles, on to the jumping!
I head down the lane and wait patiently to see his reaction. When ever I set out a new jump his sees it and it immediately on guard. He has to go smell it and check it out.
After our "inspection" of the coop, we warm up. I was a bit nervous. EVERY jump(other than a plain wood colored vertical) that we attempt that is NEW he first refuses, runs-out or just knocks it down. Today...well you will have to watch

HERE IT IS!!!!!

Let me know what you think.

I can't explain to you how happy I was. I am sure that you can hear it in my voice in the video. He did great! I have been waiting for a YEAR to have him jump something, anything just knowing that he jumped it because I sent him towards it. I am a PROUD mama!!! This is what we have worked for. Since he jumped the coop no question, we took it a few more times and then went on a short hack. While we were walking down the lane the Pony Vision kicked in when a Gator drove by.

On the last note of today's blog, I wrote last time about my boots not fitting. A kind soul, Sunshower at Lans End Stable, commented about how every tall boot is "too" tall when they are new. I feel like a ra-tard. It should have crossed my mind that they haven't been broke in from the heels. I even commented in the blog that my heels would never stay down if I didn't. Even non-blonds have their moments. So thank you Sunshower for giving me hope that they will work out. They are getting better. I have been wearting them everytime I ride and I can feel a teeny-tiny bit of relief everytime. Today while riding I left them zipped tothe top and buttoned and they weren't that uncomfortable.

3 comments:

  1. Go Olly!!! What a smart and brave boy!! :) LOVE your happiness with him, well deserved!!!
    OH..and can not believe what you found on Laz's races..have to figure out how to see those videos..holy cow, 49 races..poor Bubba!
    I love how brave Olly was going up to that coop, I could see his perked ears firmly up but no prob for the red wonder pony! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You (well I can)tell that he totally appreciates the praise. Before i started the video I was telling him "you can do this" and "you are better than this coop." lol It is like he is one of my children. He is even spooking less when i talk to him...but if I am not paying attention...side-ways jump!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous23/3/10 10:26

    Where is the "like" button?!? Well done Olly!

    @Kristin Laz ran 49 races? Holy cow is right!

    ReplyDelete