Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect....

Monday Olly and I went on a long 8 mile hack. It started out with just a few trotting and cantering sets, but then we changed direction and headed for the boat launch. This will be our swimming hole when the weather becomes nice-er. I know he isn't fond of puddles and doesn't mind the beach (in Hawaii that is) but I wan't sure about here. No big deal, he walked right in. I can't wait til we can go swimming. Even better this summer my sis is coming to visit. I can't wait to go riding with her. I am going to take her with the Chincoteague (Miss Kiki) to the Piankatank (that is the local river that leads to the Chessi Bay). I am hoping she can stay for the summer so we can ride together and maybe even get her jumping ;) Anyway, back to the point...After our 8 mile ride we went back to the house and got a good currying to get some of that winter coat off. Yesterday, I gave him the day off. My oldest son was home from his asthma and I had a 32 essay question paper due. So I basically sat at the computer all day doing school work. Yeah Nursing!!!
Today I couldn't help but go out and ride. It was like 70*. In addition to the wonderful day, it was husbands birthday and he got the day off. So we spent the first half of the day together. The second half was for the BigRedHorse. i went through my Jumping Exercises 101 book and found a simple yet educating line for us to do. Ground pole-oxer-Ground pole. Slow and steady was the key. I made the oxer ony 2ft since we weren't working on height. After steadily wrking on 2'3" and 2'6" a 2ft oxer seems so easy for him. GOOD!!! I have been waiting for that day. After setting the jump up, I got on and the first time through he just petered out...I think he would have totally gone over, I dont think it was a "refusal" per say...I think it was an impulsion issue that I should have fixed before heading towards the jump.

Either way, HERE is the video.

Olly playing in the water


The Goat was waiting on us.....

My sis, Mollee

Miss Kiki, the Chincoteague

1 comment:

  1. Aww, he is SUCH a handsome boy! Love how you two jump! :) Is that your property you ride on? Olly thrashes the water like Laz did on his last trail ride, I thought he was going to dive under it like a duck!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete