Monday, July 19, 2010

Back at it!

Yesterday Tif text me and asked if we wanted to do some bounces. I was nervous because of Olly leg. Yes, I am still paranoid about it. He never acted like he was in pain and I gave him a month off, so I decided to give it a try. We weren't going to be at it long considering it was so freaking hot out.

Can you believe that?? And it was like 1730??!
By the time I got to the barn Tif had already gotten the jumps set up. I am starting to think she is an over-achiever...
We both sat down at the picnic table just talking, but it seemed more like avoiding saddling our poor horses. Just sitting there made us sweat, what would it be like riding and what would the horses feel like? After a few minutes we peeled ourselves off the seats and got the boys ready. Olly had already been turned out so I had to walk out and get him. Of course, he was at the farthest end of the paddock, in the largest paddock. When I called him, he just looked up as if to say, "what? I think you are calling me, but I am just going to stand here like you didn't." Luckily I had brought a carrot that was left over from dinner. When I got out to where he was (what seemed like 5 miles later) he was already soaked from sweat. He had only been out for like 30 minutes...I was questioning even riding. The worst thing about the large paddock is that there is NO shade. Now, Olly is on night turn out because he gets too hot and sweats profusely. While he is in his stall during the day, he does sweat a bit, but nothing like standing outside.

My poor boy!
While he was tied and being saddled he seemed to feel like he was cooling off. The sweat started to dry and he became perkier. I think it is just too hot to put horses out in the sun like that. Olly doesn't do well. I have to keep a close eye on his sweating/evaporating, or lack thereof.
I skipped the boots and only used over-reaches (bell boots) because of the heat. I don't need those tendons to bake...
In the arena we walk and walk and walk. I was aware of all the humidity. The jumps were low and we were gonna take it slow. I warmed him up with one lap each direction, both trot and canter. With breaks inbetween each set to completely monitor his breathing. I wish I would have brought my Garmin to monitor his heartrate (I have it charging for tonight). We went over two single jumps before tackling the line. Before you watch the video I just want everyone to know that I have like 13 minutes of actual ride time on the videos. We were out in the arena for 90 minutes. That is how many breaks we took to cool the horses to ensure no over-heating. Oh, and one more thing...Tif was cracking me up! She seemed to be attracted to the camera. Situational awareness, Tif, situational awareness! Without further adue....

On the way home I looked down and noticed the temp...remember by now it was 2000 (8pm)...

I should have checked what the temp was after the sun set.

Tonight we are going to do some trotting sets on the hills. Garmin will be charged and the weather is much cooler than yesterday.SCORE! I am sure Olly will be much happier.

1 comment:

  1. Yea Olly..he rocks! Love watching u two ride...he's totally chill on the buckle yet flies like an athlete. LOVE him!

    ReplyDelete