Friday, July 16, 2010

Did Someone Say Swimmin'??!!

Yesterday, Tif and I decided that we were gonna pass on the breeches and go for shorts and bare feet and head down to the swimmin' hole next to the training areas.
I got to the barn early to muck and then took a short rest on the picnic table while I waited on Tif. It was sooooo hot. Perfect for swimming.
I had been debating on what bridle to use...Tif chose a rope halter with reins. As much as I wanted to choose that too, I just couldn't. The BigRedHorse tends to not see certain things and then freak out. Yesterday he didn't see a, ahem, dumpster...and jumped 5ft to the left. I stayed on and it wasn't THAT big of a deal, but I was glad I had some control. Normally, in an arena, I would have no problem riding him with a halter...I just don't think we are ready for halter-road-swimming yet. I decided to use my pffffft bridle. That would be the bridle I use when we are doing absolutely nothing.

I haven't ridden Olly bareback for a long time. I do enjoy it, but totally forgot how freaking tall his withers are...I think I need to get some beet pulp to fatten him up a bit. Sheesh! His back was killer on my butt!
The way to the river was about a mile. We mosey-ed down onto the beach and I could feel that Olly wanted in. I set out my camera and headed for the water. Just a little FYI..this video is long and kinda boring...lol.


He was cool until he stepped in a hole and then he decided he was going to be a bit more cautious when walking in the water.
It was totally fun being in shorts, no shoes, and shhhhh no helmet. I know, I know!! And Saturday was Helmet awareness day...Shame on me!!!

Toes!!

On he way back to the barn, some random guy decided to, yes, get dressed at the trunk of his car on the side of the road. Yes, you read right...as if that isn't weird enough, he starts talking to Tif as we walk by. Olly wasn't feeling it...he spooked a bit. But this guy was cracking me up. We just started trotting and tried to get the heck outta there. As if freaky clothes guy wasn't bad enough, the biting flies mysteriously appeared and the horses were totally miserable. On top of all that, across the road there was the kid screaming, yes screaming "look mom, right there, right there they are!!!" Over and over again...I mean if his mom DIDN'T know that there were horses walking, trotting by now from the flies, by...she was an idiot. SHUT THAT KID UP!!! Screaming kid+horses=not cool. Finally we made it back to the barn. We cooled out the horses and turned them out.

My butt...lol

My butt..lol
After turning him out I happened to catch him on video about to get eaten by a bird...it was so funny. My poor BigRedHorse!!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a huge butt imprint! Totally, totally, JK!!!! :) That sounds like fun, I love swimming with Jackson! Helmet. Wear your darn helmet. You set the good example! Must not see you do that again! LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that was fun swimming with him. I've crossed water before but never took the time to just swim. Screw the helmet!!! I never wore one - look how cool I turned out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to swim with star but man she HATES bareback and her withers are killer on my girlie parts!

    Love the tattoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww..I want a fun riding friend AND a river and a tripod (assuming that is what u use b/c if u are able to hop on and off that tall beast..kudos to your strength!)
    HOW fun!! Put a mohawk on your helmet and rock it. Olly looks like he loved it!

    ReplyDelete