Tuesday, July 20, 2010

We Did What??!!

Yesterday morning I get a text from Kelsey saying she was gonna be at the barn at 1700. Minutes later I get a text from Tif saying she was puking her guts out, but would still be at the barn to ride around 1730. LOL!
It never ceases to amaze me at how awesome my friends are. I can tell you I have never made friends, in my life, that are quite like the ones I have found in the military. I have only known these two girls for about a month and I feel like we have been friends for years. It almost sucks to have them as friends because I know one day we will be seperated and will only have long-distance relationships with them. For now, I am taking advantage of all the wonderful time I can get. I will truely miss you girls when the time comes.

On to the fun stuff!!
So, like I said the plan was barn @ 1700-1730. The day dragged on. I basically cleaned my house top to bottom, just to occupy my bordom. Fun stuff, right? I took a break around 1400 to go outside and survey the weather. It has been ungodly hot and I was curious. I had been in the air conditioning all day. It wasn't as hot as the day before, but when I looked up I saw this...

My "house" is the one with the bike in front of it...thanks boys!

...heading straight for my house. Now, my house is like 4 miles from the barn. Chances of that sucker hitting us both was pretty good. Just as I am wondering if I should re-evaluate my plan, Kelsey texts me. Of course, she is concerned about the hurricane-esk storm barreling down on us. I told her "Not. To.Worry!" This stuff always blows over and we still have 3 hours before we are even due to be at the barn! Piece of PIE! Amazingly, she trusted me...LOL! After 20 minutes of wind, lightening, and Jesus bowling thunder(that is what I tell my kids), it was over. We hardly even got any rain. The sky cleared up and the plans were never changed...until.
1700 rolls around. I have my breeches, boots, ipod, camera and phone all ready to go. I walk out to the truck and whatta-ya-know the sky is just the same as earlier. I didn't care...this too shall pass. Half way to the barn I start getting texts from Tif and Kelsey. "O.K. weather-girl!! What now?" I was firm believer in the storm blowing over. I think since I have been at this barn we have had like 4-5 storms just blow right over the barn and never interfere with the riding schedule. My luck was about to run out...
I convinced Kelsey that it would be cool. Tif...no convincing needed. I mean, she was already coming out hopped up on anti-nausea meds...like a thunderstorm was stopping her. I turn down the road the barn is on...next to the river. The RIVER had white caps...the RIVER!

Yes, that is the RIVER!
I could feel the wind on the truck and the temperature on my odometer had dropped like 10 degrees. Once I got to the barn I took this pic....

My friend text me reminding me not to die...thanks, I almost forgot! LOL

I decided to sit in the truck and wait it out. Both Kelsey and Tif were on their way. I did, for just a moment open my door to feel the storm...

Windy much??

The heavens opened up and it was one of the biggest storms I have witnessed this year. It didn't last long, but she was a good one. After about 45 minutes we went to get the horses.

It was looking better.

It was still raining, but the sky was no longer black and the winds had died down. For the first time this summer, I thought "man I should have brought my hoddie." It was actually a bit chilly. One day it's 104* and the next I need a jacket...I feel like I am back in Indiana.

He was like, "seriously, mom??"

Luckily, I have my Wintec and you know what that means, synethtic. That makes cleaning easier from the rain. I took off all my electronics, lol, and saddled up. We were gonna trot some hills...


This was BEFORE the ride...LOL!
I couldn't part with my camera I tucked it way down into my leather tall boots and we were off! We didn't even make it out of the drive and we were already soaked. We were a sight for sore eyes. Clinging shirts, pathetic looking horses, make-up running, with the wind blowing. I am sure EVERY car that passed was thinking W.T.H.??? I am telling you it was the funnest ride I have ever been on! We started out on the hills...and as I'm sure everyone could forsee this (because we actually didn't) wet hills+trotting=retarded riders. What were we thinking? Obviously when we attempted it, we changed our minds for saftey reasons. We just trotted along the road...or did we?
Kelsey took the lead with her HUGE QH Ben (Ben is a barrel racer). He casually trotted alongside the road...minding his own business. Soleil was next. Tif with her rope halter again...just trotting away, then there's Olly. OMG!! They are gonna leave me, they are trotting ahead of ME!! I must buck, canter in place, throw in a piaffe, and then drop my head and evade the bit to get closer. At one point I had to actually stop him and re-group. Don't get me worng, I love the fact that he has this energy...I just wish he would have used it more constructively. The entire ride was like this. And I could have eliminated all the riff-raff...but he needed to learn that he isn't always first and a small part of me was having fun riding my fire-breathing-dragon ;). We get to this long stretch of beautiful grass and Kelsey warns us she is going to "breeze" down. She picks up a canter and is just in her own world, enjoying her horse. Olly was second in line. He of course was happier that he wasn't last, but still having issues not being first. He did get to canter, legitimately, and was getting to use his energy. Soleil was last. Tif was just cantering along and after about a tenth of a mile Soleil decided he is going to use his TB breeding to just haul ass. Remember he is in a rope halter. I am not kidding you, by the time I realized what happened that horse was a quater mile down the road. He kicked into high gear and was OUT! I totally wish I would had had my Garmin. I yell to Kelsey to stop cantering just as Tif races by. I can see her hanging on and trying everything in her power to slow him before we hit the next cross road. Olly starts freaking out because it's his boyfriend leaving him and I'M freaking out trying to think of what I can do to help. In the end...Soleil comes back to his senses, probably thinking "Oh, shit! My mom is gonna beat my ass!!" and slows to a walk. Now...I HAVE to say this because everyone was thinking it...TIF WEAR YOUR HELMET!!! you never know what is gonna happen. Now, I know I am a bit of a hypocrit, because I didn't wear mine on the swim...but I did have mine on for the crazy rainy day ride.
Once we figured out that we were all alive we walked back to the barn.
We had only been out for like 45 minutes so I went into the arena and set up a jump. Olly, obviously, had some excess energy. 3ft it is. Kelsey, the barrel racer, asked "...ummm...are you ginna jump that?" Yup!! Tif was in on it too, so I handed her the camera. Could the day have gotten any better? Firends, riding and jumping 3ft? I didn't think so...
He popped over the fence and threw me out of the saddle...I had to do it again. After doing it correctly, Tif says, 3'3"...hmmmmm....should I? I didn't even have to think about it. He had cleared that 3ft like it was nothin'. I got off and raised the cups. NOW, this is the first time EVER jumping this high. For me AND Olly. He owned that jump. The second time through he popped over and threw me completely outta the saddle. Kelsey and Tif enjoyed that one. After successfully completing the 3'3", they peer pressured me into 3'6". Don't get me wrong...I soooo wanted to do it, but I didn't want to do something that would mentally hinder our good jumping streak. I circled a few times and Olly seemed like he could jump the moon so I went for it. O.M.G. It ws the best feeling ever! He sailed right over. I had to quit there. I so couldn't ruin that moment. The day HAD gotten better. Amazing! Lucky for all of you Tif had the camera...




OMG! I can't tell you how cool that felt.

Tif and Kelsey...my cheerleaders and awesome-est friends!

Tonight, Diesel will be going out for a ride. Olly deserves the day off.

1 comment: