Friday, July 16, 2010

Finally Back Home!

We got back home late last night. I was hoping to get in early enough to go see my BigRedHorse, but it just wasn't happening. First thing this morning I have a few meetings to attend and then it was off to the barn to give my boy some sugar cubes and hugs.
As I walked through the barn door to his little paddock, I call out "hey boy!" He perked up his ears and trotted into his stall whinnying all the way. I love it!!!! I slid the stall door open and there was his huge red head waiting for a hug. I wrapped my arms around him and let him rest on my shoulders. After a few minutes of me NOT letting go he picked up his head, as if to say, "o.k. mom that's enough." I dug in the tack box for some sugar cubes. He LOVES them, and why wouldn't he? I rubbed on him a bit and then it was back to life until his evening.

To make a long story short, I am trying to plan a poker run hosted by the Ft. Eustis Stables. It isn't going well. Losts of resistance. I guess free money just isn't the ODR guy's thing...So, even though this poker run may not be hosted, Tif and I decided to still go out and scout trails. I guess "no" isn't in our vocabulary. I made it back out to the barn around 1800 and went back to Olly's paddock. He was just finishing dinner. I pulled him out and did a full scan of his body. TONS of nicks and scratches! Everytime I walked around him I found a new one. I found out from Tif that Olly and another horse just stand at the back of his paddock and nibble on each other all day. I may just have to run hot wire around his paddock to keep him from looking like a chew toy. I made sure I checked out hisleg. Pretty much it was back to normal. There was a teeny tiny bit of puffiness low in his fet, but nothing I was gonna worry about. We were just walking and trotting today anyway.

How handsome is he??!!
After getting saddled I fired up the GPS and we headed out. We were on a mission for 4-5 miles of trails for the poker run. We ducked in one of the training areas that looked promising. To our surprise they were using the area and we had to turn back. See if the gates to the training areas are closed then we are cool to ride. Today-gates closed...once we got back there, there were tons of trucks and guys just having a blast...and the biting flys were ungodly! So instead we went down the road to the beach and let the boys splash around. Tomorrow I think we are gonna skip the breeches and go for shorts and go for a swim!
On the way back Olly just so happened to notice a huge dumpster, portable toilet and a kite flying. All these things were there on the way, but I guess just weren't that interesting when traveling south...just north.
We made it back to the barn all in one piece. It was such a great ride. I have missed my boy!!!
After turning out the boys into the paddock, I noticed the quarentine stall doors were left open. Ugh...don't you get it people?? I had to close the doors. I walked to the stall and saw this...
A box turtle!

Ahaha! Tif!

I had to take him home to the boys. I put him in the truck on the center counsole thing and he freaking took off!! After a moderate scream, I compiled my thoughts and decided to hold him the whole way home.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet reunion! So glad you enjoyed your vaca and now you are back with your handsome red head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swimming looked like a blast. What is a poker run?

    ReplyDelete