Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Back in the Saddle

Couldn't wait to get to the barn today. New riding plan and a fresh Olly. I took my time making sure to stretch all the right places. Legs, back , butt and even neck. He was ready to go. After fitting him with all his new attire, that we are just now using, all we had left to do is get the boots on. Off we go! Oh, but we didn't. Instead he tried laying down!!! Again, I checked all the right places, especially his back and rushed to call the vet. I know for sure he isn't hurting, maybe....he seemed to be ok so I loosened the saddle and gave him a minute and I took a minute to think. I decided to walk him a bit before tightening the saddle again. We went to go see Stacy and Klein. No problems, not a one. So what is the deal with laying down? I finished cinching him at Stacy's barn and proceeded to ride. 20 minutes to warm up just flexing at a walk. Then we moved into a slow trot over a ground pole or two for 5 minutes. Then we finished with another 20 minute walk with flexing. I know it sounds boring, but I have to find out what works for him. I think we need to go on a trail ride with a little more challenging terrain. He seemed like he was ready to go. Everytime Klein and Stacy passed us anything faster than a walk he was pulling to go. As we walked back to the barn I could tell he would have gone another 45 minutes, but he was sure glad to being going home.

Klein and Olly (not sure who the other one is)
As I unsaddled and groomed, I was talking to my husband about the "incident." And boy did he come up with something interesting. Why would Olly be trying to lay down when getting ready to leave the barn? Maybe it isn't neccessarily the barn he isn't wanting to leave. Maybe it is his girlfriend in the next paddock. KLEIN! Well I brought that to stacy's attention and we are going to try a few experiments tomorrow. She tells me that everytime Klein leaves the area and he is left behind in the paddock, he flips out! He misses his girl. She is just so loveable! Who would have thought A TB and a Perch? We will see. I am interested in finding out whether he is actually not wanting to be ridden or if he is just not wanting to leave another horse. Either way it isn't good and we need to find the source so we can fix it. I will let you know it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment