Thursday, April 23, 2009

So I have been out of a computer for a few days. Get ready for some info...


You can barely see the trail!



So starting with the 18th, we went on a long trail ride. We trotted mostly through the trail, since he wouldn't walk. He loves the trails. If we head toward the arena Olly gets all mopey and isn't too thrilled with what I have planned, no matter what it is. BUT, if we pass the arena and continue on the trails, kick it up lets go! No walking needed. I had to keep a tight rein for most of the trip. I wanted to be able to walk on a loose rein no bending or flexing just walking and getting used to being out and about. No way! one speed and that is not slow. We were gone for 90 minutes and cantered maybe 2-3 times for about 3 minutes each. At the end of the ride he finally walked on a loose rein and was soaking wet with sweat. Wouldn't you if you just tried to trot a 90 minute trail ride?



Sunday, Olly had off to recover from his trotting trail ride, but me on the other hand, did not. Stacy and I were at the barn early and set out paint some jumps. Someone has to do it...and guess who the luck winners are? Yup, the jumpers. 0930 I had the tape and Stacy had a brush. We starded out with red, white and blue. What else would you paint jumps on a military installation?










3 hours later and 2 quarts of paint later, we move on to the white ground poles. By this time we are sumburned and dehydrated and just want to go home. And, guess what? We still have to paint the jump cups, SILVER! WTF? That is what the boss wants Brad reminds me. So we paint them silver. 1500 rolls around and we feed and try to hit the gate as fast as we can to get home for a cold shower. By the way, those jumps look awesome!



Monday I was recovering from the jump painting day, so we picked back up on Tuesday. WE lunged for 45 minutes walk, trot and cantering. Working on transitions and a few ground poles, two verticals and some barrels. We never jumped the barrels we just pretended. I split them and we trotted the poles inbetween. He did great and totally got a work out. He thinks more on a lunge line then when I am on him. I think he worries too much about me and can't focus as much as I would like. He did everything I asked of him. He tries so hard.


He actually un-velcroed his boot and took it off!





Back to the barn for a bath. No soap today just currying and lots of love. All nice and brushed out and what happens? You guess it, not two second in the paddock and he rolls.






Today, I finally get to ride! After a few days off we are both rested and ready to go. I start out by loading up the kids in the back of the truck and climb into the front seat with my tape meauser and head to the arena. Two crossrail and a ground pole. I have a plan!

We start out by walking over the ground poles. How boring. All he wants to do is trot, big surprise...I decide to let him canter-hand gallop around the arena 3 times to get it out of his system. I hate to keep on his mouth. After the sprint we get back to business. We attempt the poles again. I find out that it might not be all him. Keep a steady rein on the outside and light contact on the inside. Back to dressage basics, I have to tell myself. Well, it paid off, with him sprinting and my mind where it should be, we made two near perfect 10m circles. Yeah!!!!! Don't get too excited it was only at a walk.


Notice the ears, not thrilled at all...


On to the next thing. I set up two crossrails. He jumps so perfectly, he just needs more confidence. I think after time of him learning to trust me, we will be a great pair. It is a long road and I have to slow myself down to make sure I am doing everything right. I would hate do push him too far. I already put a saddle on him that didn't fit. Let's not make the same mistakes. After only going through the jumps twice, which he did perfectly, we headed off to a short trail ride as a reward. As we head towards the trail, you guessed it, speed was increased. That crazy horse! The trail ride was just about over and we had one last hill to go up. He couldn't contain it. He wanted to go! It was so much that I had to stop him and help him regain his composure by adding alittle patience. We stood for what must have seemed like minutes and minutes. Pawing and shaking his head, he thought that would make me let him go. Think again Mr.! As soon as he calmed down I let him trot up the hill. Middle ground, he wanted to canter, I would have rather him walk, but it was a steep hill and there was no way he was going to be able to walk it.

...getting more interesting...



...Now We Are Talking!!!!


We ended up at the top of the hill happy. After he figured out we were going to the barn the loose rein law was applied. Relaxation at last! Back at the barn I decided to try out my new tail bag. I thought I was doing him a favor, making his tail pretty and all. No so, he hated it and I had to fight with him just to get the stupid thing on. I would have taken it off, but he was so pissy I had to get it done based on pride and he needed to get over it. Shit happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment