Sunday, June 13, 2010

Another HOT Day in Va

This morning started out with me getting up early to make it to the barn to help with turn-outs. This would be Olly's first turn-out with the rest of the horses and some were worried that he may have issues. Whatever! The BigRedHorse...issues?? Ha! Of course he walked into the paddock and that was it, he was friends with everyone.

Making friends

I headed back home, Husband NEEDED to get some boat stuff done, and then we HAD to take it out to "test" it. I think he just wanted to go speeding around the river again. This time I did wear sunscreen ;)

Benni and I catching the wind.
After dinner I met up with Tif to go for a ride. I got to the barn about 1730. I headed straight to Olly's stall, and what did I find? My BigRedHorse drenched in sweat. I paniced alittle! WTF?? He was a bit lethargic, which really worried me. I instantly checked his gums, heart rate and I should have check his temp, but the thermometer was all the way in the tack room, so I just felt him (which is so accurate lol). I shoved his halter on and grabbed the hose. I cold hosed him for at leat 10 minutes, until he was perkier.
Normally, I tend to instantly panic. My first thoughts in my head were OMG! He made it through that stinking quarentine barn and now he gets heat stroke! I start thinking of all the things I should be doing to treat it. Problem is...no heat stroke. lol Just a really hot horse that will be put in his stall with fans during the day and have turn-out at night...from now on.

PANIC!!


Bug bites, even after all the bug spray. I could just SPIT!

Yup, look at that perfection...
It was so freaking hot this evening I just passed on the riding. I grabbed all the bath stuff. I thought he would enjoy a nice cooling massage. Just as we were about to finish up with the bath, the sky turns grey. SUPER! AGAIN!?

I love my truck!
I watched the sky and quickly noticed that this storm was blowing away from the barn, how I don't know. And I didn't care, I just loved the thought of the temperature dropping 10*. I waited it out. No rain! Woooohooo! I went to the arena and set up some jumps. Olly probably wan't as happy as I was, but he would live.
I set the jumps up in a circle. Time to maintain some balance and collection for longer than just one or two jumps. We started out with some new looking jumps. Olly picked all the new ones out. Smart boy. He had to touch them and then he was ok.

The lattice with my standards.

How show worthy is that?? LOL
We did the circle to the left first, since that is his "good" way and then cirlced to the right. As always he was great. I rode with Tif and her Appendix paint Solei. He is 4. After we did the circle a few times we had a little fun(as if we weren't already). Who can jump the highest...my guess? ME and OLLY! DUH! Well, Tif and Solei-2'9" Olly and I-3ft.




Don't I look cute?? Too hot for breeches today!


2 comments:

  1. Love the video..and I know u made Red a new color for Olly but then at the end of your video, Olly in that Blue halter...swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do like the blue, but red is way more sassy...and you know me ;)
    All his non-tack is blue...fly sheet, halter, shipping boots, rain sheet, standing wraps...etc.

    ReplyDelete