Sunday, June 20, 2010

What happened now??!!

Yesterday after the work day at the barn Husband tells me that he would like to take a nice outing on the boat. Of course, I was thinking of going to the barn and making more awesome jumps with all the wood I found in the end quarentine stall. I quickly gave in and text Tif and told her she was on her own. The next morning, since it was Father's Day, I got up early and made pancakes and coffee for Husband. I skipped the morning check in with the BigRedHorse. It wasn't until this afternoon I HAD to go out and check on my boy. I had left his tail out so I could trim it and he so totally needed fly spray.

Friday before our ride. Look at all that awesomeness...

I showed up at the barn in a swim-suit and flip-flops. I think Olly sighed a sigh of relief, considering the temperature. I first sprayed him down and then went to tackle the tail. After that, the two things he hates the most, I decided to put some RainMaker on his feet. Just to keep them going in the dry dirt he was being turned out in. I always start with the right front and work my way around clockwise. I got to his Right Hind and he kinda put up a fight. Ummmmm...Olly...Why are you not wanting to stand?  I made it quick and crossed over to the Left Hind. WTF!! Now I know why you didn't want ot stand! My poor boy!

See the ANTI-definition?

The good leg

Ignore the stance...he was stomping at flies...

What did I do? PANIC!! The check list started forming in my mind.
Tenderness?
Heat?
Asymmetrical?
Yes, yes, and yes. Crap! At first thought I put linement on it, and turned him out. Dumb move. I actually am a bit embarrassed to even admit it on here, but I try to own ALL of my mistakes. I went back to the barn a few hours later and decided to actually do the right things.
No turn out.
Cold Hose.
Standing wraps.
Bute....if needed.
Well, the standing wraps turned into polo's because I can't find my pillows. I SWEAR I took them to the barn....I might not be happy if I can't find them at home.

When I got to the barn I double timed it to the gelding turn-out paddock. To my surprise and mental anguish, he was out trotting with Soleil. Great. I grabbed him and took him to complete the "correct" check list. He was patient and enjoyed all the pampering. I put on his fly sheet and mask to try to make him the most comfortable as possible. I didn't want him stomping all night on a sore leg at flies. After a few sugar cubes he was off to bed in his stall.

All tucked in!

I think we will hold off on the turn-outs for a few days and just go with hand walks. At least, until the swelling goes down.

I started replaying what might have caused this on the drive home. I know I didn't see anything yesterday, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. I also can't rule out it happening sometime while I wasn't there either. I hate not knowing. BUT, I did come up with a good idea....

1 comment:

  1. Oh damn! So you think he banged his leg on that fence huh? Ugh.
    First off, good for u for owning mistakes, we learn from them all..and from others!
    Poor babe! I have a trillion standing wraps and quilts, too bad we aren't closer! I'm sure he'll heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete