Saturday, June 12, 2010

Free at Last, Free at Last!!!




Today was such a happy day. Olly is free!
I got up this morning and couldn't wait to go see my boy. Today was the last day for him to be in quarentine. As I pulled myself out of bed, I hear husband say "time to take the boat out." I never really complain about going out on the boat. I really don't care for the boat and I don't see what is so great about it, but it is Husband's Olly, if you will. I would never tolerate him telling me I couldn't go see my BigRedHorse, so who am I to tell him no boat? I really try to be fair. So, this morning we pack up and head out to get the boat. We found a boat launch near the new house and decided to give it a try. I would ride in the evening. It was cooler then anyway.

Travis

Husband...with his lovely Croc's...lol!!

Bennington LOVE's the boat too. He likes the wind in his fur!

Sunburn...check!

I asked him to go get dressed for the boat...this is what he put on. Oh, and note the self-given tattoo. Nice.

He was telling a fish story...ccan you tell?

I chose to not wear sunscreen today. Why? I am not sure, maybe because I am just that retarded. I have found that my skin isn't as sensitive since being in Hawaii, and that being no excuse to not wear sunscreen, i still went with out. Well, I have to admit I have learned my lesson. After being on the boat and then going riding in sunny 90* weather, I have found that my skin just is normal and I got burnt.

Notice all the red skin? Even my ear got burnt.

I headed out to the barn around 1400 and I had alot to do. I made sure I took a whole bottle of water and my ipod. As soon as I pulled in I walked as fast as I could to the "Q" barn to get Olly OUT! They have a small paddock which was perfect. It lets him talk to the other horses without being turned out with them. Perfect for new comers. He was totally excited to be able to walk up to the barn and see all thenew stuff. As soon as I put him in the paddock he went straight to the side attached to the turn out paddock. Lucky for you guys, I got it on video ;)

While he was having fun meeting new friends and eating grass, I mucked his "Q" stall and prepared his new stall and filled the water trough. I cannot tell you how hot it was. And sad to say that while I was mucking the "Q" stall I became even more angry at ODR. It was so hot in that stinking stall. No animal should have to be in there. My fist task at this barn will be getting that barn fixed. It wouldn't take much to get the parts to make it somewhat decent barn. With all the extra duty soldiers...labor could be free. Just an idea....

As I was taking a load of shavings to Olly's new stall Tif showed up. Yeah!!! Someone to ride with!! I finished up with Olly's stall and grabbed him out of the mini-paddock. Since Tif was at the hitching post and Olly hasn't met her horse yet, I took him to the grooming stall. Bad idea. It was like a sweat box, by the time I was done saddling him up he was dripping sweat. I have to say that I think that was the fastest I have ever saddled a horse. I was trying to hurry.

He was more sweaty BEFORE his ride than after!

We walked around the arena a bit. Seriously...this is the arena? I mean it has potiental, but why does no one take care of it. I can just see it now. I am gonna be a pain in this barn's ass.

The arena...*tear* And yes, those are my wonderfully painted jumps!

We decided that we were gonna go let the horses play in the river. It would be a nice reward to letthem cool off.



Olly and his new friend Solei

After walking around in the water we hit up some of the training areas. I have been schooled in where it is acceptable to ride, pretty much anywhere but the commissary and PX. That leaves alot of exploring for Olly and I. w00t!!! So if anyone from Ft. Eustis is reading this....if you see a crazy girl riding a BigRedHorse on post...it's me!
Like I said we headed to one of the training areas. If the gates are closed, we can ride. Now, I know that doesn't make sense, but here it does. No one training means ok for horses. lol No sooner than we get around the yellow gate and all the deer flies (or that is what I call them) start swarming us, and I mean US...not the horses so much but the riders!! It was terrible. I think I have to take a bath in Benedryl! We hardly made it far and turned around to head back. As we exited the woods, I look up at the sky.




We double timed it back to the barn to make it before the storm hit.
I rushed to get Olly to his new stall. I didn't want to have to deal with him meeting all the new horseys and a storm. He is such a good boy, it didn't even matter. He acted like he had been there all along.

Olly's new home!

Another Friend!!!
The sky on the way home...it was a short storm.

3 comments:

  1. OMG! A boat and a horse? I would just die of sheer happiness. Mostly. I never did get into scuba in Va, after Key West and working in paradise, why set myself up for the dissapointment of NO vis and brown fish? :) But a nice relaxing day on a boat, well, I sure wouldn't complain! You will make that arena rock and get those rec folks in line. You are totally correct. They have plenty of young, able GI's to do the work. Great that you have already met and ridden with someone on your first day off quarantine! Wish I was there with Jackson, I currently have NO jumping buds to push us to do much at all. Just dressage. Now, dressage has done a heck of a lot for us, and i like it, but I want to jump! If my friend doesn't get the holes drilled in the jump standards she claims were my b-day present, (January!) by her friend who OWNS A DRILL PRESS, I may shit a ten lb. brick! I already begged Home Depot to drill some holes, I mean, come on they will cut the standards, why can't they drill press in a few holes? If I don't get to Florida with my horse to a decent jumping environment and leave nursing hell too, and SOON, I know not what I will do!!! Enjoy giving the military some HELL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olly! Such a trooper!
    That video really shows how long his neck and back are, he's just beautiful and BIG and floaty! I'm pretty sure I would fall off of him a lot, lol! ;)
    Fun riding friend-that has to feel good for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Kristen! Give yourself some credit. My 6 yr old rides Olly (on a lead line)! If you are ever in the Va area you can ride him!

    ReplyDelete