Thursday, June 17, 2010

Roll-Back Fail(s)

Tuesday I went out ot the barn and set up a bunch of new jumps. I brought my crappy coop and the log jump I had also. See when I first came to check out the barn here on Ft Eustis, they had a ton of jumps. To my surprise the girl that owned them took them when she left. Totally not complaining, because I would do the same. So I have set my jumps up. I already have Husband on it to make some more.


All ready to go, for our Fail. lol

So my new jumps consisted or a triple rail (bar)


and this rainbow-multi-colored-picket-fence-thing. It was higher than I would normally start out, but I decided that I could get him over it.

I didn't measure the height, but I am guessing 2'9"

These two jumps were going to be a part of my roll-back plan. Olly has been doing great with his leads. We practiced on the flat and with just two jumps and even a full course. Time to move on. I mean, how hard is it? Come off a jump and roll-back and take the next jump, right? Ohhhhhh was it not so easy. I set up the jumps so he would take his left lead and land on his left lead. His left is his better one. While I was out there I just couldn't figure out what was happening. I mean, we did the "line" like 10 times (it was really hot so we took a lot of breaks) and he only got his lead like 3. 30% is not the success rate I was hoping for. I did promise him that I would make sure I sit back for the change if he actually would get the change. lol I sat back, but he didn't hold up his end of the deal. After the second time of not getting the lead, I got off and checked to see if he might be sore and did some changes on the flat. First, simple ones, then some flying ones. He seemed to get it. The only thing I can think that was interfering was that he needed more time to think coming off the jump. Triple rail, three strides, change leads (if needed, and EVERY TIME he needed to), turn, and prepare for another funky jump in 4 strides. Now, I know that a roll back is hardly three strides, turn and then 4 strides, but I tried to space it out for timing's sake. He eventually got what I was asking for. And I rewarded him greatly. It was hot and yucky out. And he was totally giving a good effort. Once he did get the leads, we jumped the second fence...which I blew. I promised to stay off his shoulders and sit back, and I was totally ahead. You can't miss it on the video. Had I sat back and stayed out of his way he could have taken the jump more gracefully. Ooops! So-what did we learn? Leads and strides are way important and we need to practice!! Be on the look out for some boring flat videos.

Here is the video.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like he figured it out in the end! I think we did at least half of our stadium course at Aspen on the wrong lead. I'm not even sure how to start teaching flying changes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have tons of info on teaching it. I will Facebook it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olly is such a jumping foo' love it!!! :)
    I secretly hope that Laz will heal enough that in his future we can sail over a 6" X. LOL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised you didn't get points taken off for being on the wrong lead! I know I got a 3rd place for being on the wrong lead, but it was when I was young (about to ride at Devon-but didn't know it) and still learning them.... It was a little barn show so I have no idea how that compares to stadium eventing. Here's my theory, if you get over it, what's the biggie? Besides the obvious reason that you need a lead change for a roll back, turn, etc? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't in a show, I was just practicing at my the barn. The last Hunter show I went to I did get points taken off for being on the wrong lead, I got like 3rd or 4th place. I did, however, get over all reserve in the division.
    One day Kristen, one day I hope you will too. I think the Michigan road trip is a go! :D

    ReplyDelete