Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I think I see some progress....

Since I am really tired from spending some quality time with the BigRedHorse, this one is gonna be short. And for those of you who say I never keep things short...you are probably right.
I went to cold hose this morning and when I took off the wraps, Olly's leg was almost normal! Now there just seems to be slight inflammation in his fets! Woooohooo!

Sweet!!!!

Nice!

I cut back the time to only 10 minutes and skipped the bute.
This evening when I went out his leg seemed to hold out all day. Now that IS an improvement! I skipped the cold hosing put some DMSO on and wrapped. Then I turned him out in the little paddock for about an hour.

That was before I wrapped him.
While we let Olly graze, Tif and Soleil had a fun time jumping the course my boys and I made. I would video her and she would let my boys ride her paint. Fair enough. lol

Travis had the first go...

Then Colton, he even brought his chaps...lol

The Brad...he doesn't usually ride. lol

While we were paying attention to the paint, Olly seemed offended. He started lunging himself in the "welcome" paddock. WTF!? I clipped a quick video with Tif's camera, I will upoad tomorrow when I get it.
Overall, Olly is getting better. I may even get in a ride before we go on leave. We are heading back to Indiana to visit family for 2 weeks on the 1st. Olly will have plenty of time to rest and relax while I am gone. I fully anticipate him to be ready to ride then.

4 comments:

  1. awww your boys are sooo cute!! So happy Olly's leg is healing nicely.
    What is DMSO? I am so confused b/c Laz had a an IV drip everyday called DMSO (short for something) when he got really sick w/ Colic/Fever/laminitis..and it made him smell like HORRIBLE rotten garlic. Can't be the same stuff, right???

    ReplyDelete
  2. DMSO stands for Dimethyl Sulfoxide and is a side product (all natural) from wood pulping. Indeed, it is the same drug! It is used both topically for pain, inlammation and as an antioxidant. IV or injection it can be used alone or with other drugs and does help with colic, cerebral edema (swelling on the brain) among other things in horses. In humans it is being used as alternative treatment for types of cancers but I'm not sure if it has FDA approval yet. That's all I know. :) Stupid ex vet tech turned RN nerd...I bet Wikipedia would have better info. than me tho! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The leg looks waaaayyyy better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty much what Mindy said...lol
    And I too, am a vet tech going to nursing school!!! Ahaha!

    ReplyDelete